Master in Design for Virtual Reality
Schedule: Monday to Friday from 6.30 pm to 10.40 pm
The Master in Design for Virtual Reality is teaching a new generation of designers to create immersive experiences and solutions using virtual reality technology and tools. With a distinctly creative and technological focus, the course fosters new ways of designing, learning and interacting based on ground‑breaking narratives.
Experts are anticipating that the impact of virtual reality on our lives will be comparable to that of the Internet or smartphones, offering hugely promising possibilities in a wide range of fields: education, entertainment, digital cities, audio‑visuals, architecture, vehicles, engineering, social action…
As VR sets in, the market is calling for more specialized professionals who understand the present and future scenario, realize the potential of existing technology and show a creative approach to designing content, experiences, products and services.
This is a pioneering masters in Europe thanks to its specialized content. The programme is divided into three parts: the Design Studio covering the theory module, Design Tech to learn how to work with specific virtual reality hardware and software, and the Design Lab, an immersive laboratory to create and develop projects and experiences in various fields.
Student of the Master in Design for Virutal Reality testing VR and AR in Construmat
– To grasp the processes and methodologies involved in designing, developing and producing immersive, communicative, emotional and social experiences using virtual reality.
– To develop narratives, environments and services using design and VR technology tools.
– To build up a sound base of specific virtual reality know‑how, methodology and tools to develop future professional projects.
– To gain independence in the learning process so as to comfortably command virtual reality design software and hardware.
– To experiment with the array of possibilities that storytelling and immersion can offer in different sectors.
– To build a framework of concepts and resources with which to solve problems during project planning and come up with ideal solutions.
– To take part in multi‑disciplinary teams where debates and collaboration are fostered to create functional and effective designs.
The goal of the Master is to provide students with specific knowledge and resources to work in the field of virtual reality.
The course programme aims to:
– Prepare students to lead the process of designing and developing virtual reality environments using cutting‑edge technology and tools that will change the way people interact with one another and with our surroundings.
– Teach new design methods and virtual reality tools involving specific VR software and hardware, and to prepare students for professional activities linked to design and immersive environments and new digital experiences.
– Hold technical sessions about project development and practical applications, as well as theory sessions where a key topic is chosen to tie in the knowledge acquired.
– Encourage students to carry out real projects for specific aims based on a customer briefing (with a company or partner institution).
– Introduce them to the professional world by attending international events and conferences such as Mobile World Congress and Sónar +D.
– Encourage students to experience storytelling and immersion in varied, interesting and enjoyable ways.
– Evaluate students understanding at frequent intervals throughout the learning process.
– Architects, interior designers and related professionals wishing to explore the creative possibilities virtual reality offers in their various fields.
– Graphic designers, multimedia or interactive designers, animators, digital artists and digital product designers.
– People with proven academic and/or professional experience in the field of design, audio‑visuals or technology who are interested in exploring the creative boundaries of virtual reality technology.
There are plenty of opportunities in the fields of user experience and interface design, information architecture and project management. The demand for VR specialists is high in areas such as architecture and interior design, the audio‑visual and entertainment industry with studios and agencies, industrial design and engineering, digitized cities, education and communication.
Those who complete the masters will have a variety of professional options to work as:
– VR storytellers: designers and creators of new future narratives.
– Virtual reality designers and content developers at Unity Engine.
– Directors and content developers for VR platforms.
– UX designers using virtual reality.
– Project managers dealing with XR/VR content and products.
– Exhibition designers and organizers of events with immersive environments.
– Simulation developers and designers for architecture and design studios.
– VR creators and specialists in animation, post‑production (FX) or gaming studios.
– XR product designers for ICT (information and communication technology) companies, for interactive agencies or for commercial applications.