M.S. PROGRAM IN EUROPEAN STUDIES
(THESIS AND NON-THESIS)
European integration is a multi-dimensional project with its political, economic, legal, social and cultural integration aspects. Therefore, this multi-dimensionality brings the European Studies into an interdisciplinary position.
European Studies gained the necessity of being a distinct specializing area in the graduate level because of the changing position of Turkey after the Helsinki Summit. We can list the aims of the Graduate Program in European Studies, which were prepared as an answer to that necessity. The aims of the Graduate Program in European Studies can be summarized as follows and the courses delivered are designed to meet these objectives:
Fields of Study:
- to help forming specialist managerial staff about different aspects of the European integration and the EU in different institutions and establishments;
- to make EU policies in the post-Helsinki period examined and understood by getting touch with the EU authorities;
- to constitute a public opinion about the EU and Turkey-EU relations by means of internal and international seminars and conferences, projects;
- to determine those changes that Turkey will encounter in its policies and constitutional context during the integration process;
- to provide a deeper understanding as to Turkey- EU relations, particularly by increasing familiarity of the postgraduates to the issue in an internationalized academic environment;
- to analyze the dynamics of the adaptation process that Turkey is undergoing in the EU integration process.
All fields under the economics and politics
Akder, Halis (METU/Economics): B.S., METU; Dr.rer.pol., Goethe Universitat.
Agricultural Policy, Agricultural Trade Policy, Common Agricultural Policy, EU-Turkey Relations, Human Development
Bağcı, Hüseyin (METU/International Relations): B.A., M.A., Ph.D., University of Bonn.
The New Order and The Security of Europe, Contemporary Issues in International Security, Diplomatic History,International Organizations
Dağı, İhsan Duran (METU/International Relations): B.A.,Gazi University; M.A., Ph.D., University of Lancaster.
Human Rights in International Relations, Refugees and Security, The Question of Human Rights in Turkish Foreign Policy, Human Rights and Turkey-EU Relations, Democratization in Turkey, Islam and Politics in The Middle East, Islam and Politics in Turkey, Revolution and Change in Iranian Politics, Welfare-Virtue Party in Turkey
Eralp, Atila (METU/International Relations): B.A., METU; M.A., Ph.D., University of Southern California.
Theories of International Relations, European Integration and Enlargement, Theories of Integration, Euro-Mediterranean Relations
Kaya, Raşit (METU/Political Science and Public Administration): B.A., Ankara University; Ph.D., Paris University.
Political Theory, Mass Media, French and Spanish Politics
Türkeş, Mustafa (METU/International Relations): B.A., Hacettepe University; M.A., Ph.D.,University of Manchester.
Political Developments and Security Issues in East-Central Europe, Destruction of Yugoslavia, Turkish Foreign Policy, Kemalizm, Political and Ideological Tendencies in Turkey
Ege, Aylin (METU/Economics): B.S., METU; M.A., Ankara University; Ph.D., University of Kent at Canterbury.
European Integration, EU-Turkey Relations, World Trade Organisation
Ercan, Hakan (METU/Economics): B.S., M.S., METU; Ph.D., University of Iowa, U.S.A.
Microeconometrics, Labor Economics
Okyayuz, Mehmet (METU/ Political Science and Public Administration): B.A., M.A.,Universitat Heidelberg; Ph.D., Universitat Marburg.
Political Thought, Migration Movements, Social Policy
Polat, Necati (METU/International Relations): B.A., Istanbul University; Ph.D., University of Nottingham.
International Law, IR Theory, Philosophy of Social Sciences, Current Social and Political Theory
Tayfur, Fatih (METU/International Relations): B.S., M.S., METU; Ph.D., London School of Economics and Political Science.
Greek Politics, Economics and Foreign Policy in the 1990s, Decision-Making Mechanisms and Processes in Turkish Foreign Policy, Democratic Development and Foreign Policy of Spain in the 1990s, Political-Economy of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Europeanization and Democratization in Turkey, Greece and Spain
Yurdusev, Nuri (METU/International Relations): B.S., M.S., METU; Ph.D., University of Leicester .
Theory and History of IR, British School, Philosophy of History, European Identity and Turkish Identity, Civilizations
Ertuğrul, Kürşad (METU/ Political Science and Public Administration): B.S., METU; M.A., Leeds University; Ph.D., METU.
Turkish Politics, European Political Theory, European Identity and Turkish Modernization
Güner, Nuray (
METU/Business Administration): B.S., METU; M.B.A., Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Investment, Market Micro Structure, Portfolio Theory
Kahraman, Sevilay (METU/International Relations): B.A., M.A., Ph.D., METU.
European Integration and Enlargement, Common Foreign and Security Policy, Euro-Mediterranean Relations, Institutional Reform of the EU
Aşçıoğlu-Öz, Gamze (METU/ Political Science and Public Administration): B.A., Ankara University; L.L.M., University of Nottingham.
Competition Policy, Law and Institutions of the European Union, European Court of Justice
Öz, Özlem (METU/Business Administration): B.S., M.B.A., METU; Ph.D., London School of Economics.
International Competitiveness and Competitive Advantage, Turkish Business Environment, Strategic Management
Yalman, Galip (METU/ Political Science and Public Administration): B.A., METU; M.A., University of Southampton; Ph.D., University of Manchester.
European Social Policy, Comparative Politics
Soykut, Mustafa (METU/History): B.A., M.A., Bilkent University; Ph.D., Fachbereich Orientalistik of the Universitaet.
The Image of The "Turk" in Europe and European Cultural History
Ergut, Ferdan (METU/History): B.S., METU; Ph.D., New School for Social Research New York.
European and World History, European History from the 16 th century to the present, Turkish Political Change since mid-19 th century, Revolutions and Collective Action, and Philosophy of Social Science
- Economics of European Integration
- Institutions and Law of the European Union
- Politics of European Integration
- State and Society in Europe
- Issues, Approaches and Problems
- Development of European Identity and EU
- Comparative European Labor Markets
- Common Agricultural Policy
- The World System: Locating Europe
- IR of the European Union
- Europeanization and Regional Politics in the Black Sea Region
- Global Environmental Issues
- German Foreign Policy
- Problems in International Security
- Politics in East-Central Europe
- Politics, Economics and Foreign Policy in Greece
- The Making of European Security
- New World Order and the Security of Europe
- Russia and the European State-System
- Human Rights Politics in the European Union
- European Economic Integration and Turkey
- European Identity and Turkish Modernization
- Immigration Policy in Germany
- Western European Politics
- Public Participation of Turkish Labor Migrants in Western Europe
- Competition Law
- European Cultural History I
- European Cultural History II
- Turkish Image in Italy
- Revolutions in European History
- Intellectual Property Rights and Regulations
- Intellectual Property Rights and Regulations I