Undergraduate Course in Product Design
Undergraduate Courses - Milan
- Credits: 180
- Attendance: Full-time
- Language: English
The course’s objective is to train Product Designers who can deal with the evolution of the traditional relation between Designer and enterprise towards a new scenario. Nowadays professionals in Design are called to broaden their competences by stepping in not just on the product - the visible part of a project - but also on the related service, the intagible part connected to the relation among product, user and the surrounding system.
The Product Designer shows those methodological competences allowing to design objects, strategies and services in the light of researches and market analysis, useful to industrial, self or artisanal productions. Thanks to a user-centered approach, his work is featured by sympathy between people and projects sustainability.
Title –The First Level Academic Diploma is recognized by MIUR (Ministry for Education, University and Research) and equated with the Bachelor’s Degree issued by Universities.
– The Product Designer profession is experiencing a great change, besides designing as a freelance or within a professional studio, he is demanded to directly enter the job market becoming a self-made man, entrepreneur and producer of his own ideas.
Methodology and structure
– In three years, students acquire the worldwide famous Italian design culture, with origins in Leonardo’s genius, capable of expressing works of great aesthetic, functional and emotional value.
To undertake a professional career, students get a wide range of competences: cultural, technical and based on project development. Cultural elements connected to design, architecture and art
are analysed but also sociology and anthropology, necessary to comprehend and interpret the evolutionary phenomena of behaviour, the main subject of design.
Students are introduced to marketing
, a fundamental tool for analysing brand values and corporate market positioning of the companies they work with, and for reading and anticipating consumer needs and trends.
Students develop their own solid project development method that, starting from ethical, social and sustainability values
, allows them to acquire a mindset for strategic design. This design method is completed by the study of tools to develop, assess and explain a project: the pencil, 3D modelling software, rendering, lab work for the construction of models and prototypes
using 3D printers. Thanks to the electronic prototyping platform Arduino
, students are able to experiment the interaction between functions of the object and people’s behaviour. Career opportunities
- Product Designer, Service Designer, Concept Designer.
- Perception Theory and the Psychology of Form
- Design Methods
- Technical Drawing
- Graphic Design
- Materials Typology 1
- History of Contemporary Art 1
- History of Design 1
- Modelling Techniques 1
- Introduction to Cultural Marketing
- Product Design 1
- Sociology Of Culture
- Drawing Techniques And Technologies
- Materials Typology 2
- Design 1
- History Of Contemporary Architecture
- 3d Computer Model-Making Techniques
- Modelling Techniques 2
- History Of Design 2
- Design Management
- Product Design 2
- 3d Rendering Technologies
- Layout And Display Techniques
- Design 2
- Product Design 3
- Phenomenology Of Contemporary Art
- Cultural Anthropology
The faculty comprises experts and professionals with the ability to teach applied skills and a constant stream of innovation. Each individual course is run in direct contact with and supported by companies operating in the fields in question.
As a school with an international vocation, the Istituto Europeo di Design welcomes students with different nationalities and cultures to all its campuses. Some 2,000 foreign students – primarily from the Far East, Central and South America and Europe – enrol in its courses every year. To date, the IED has trained students from about 100 different countries.