- Bölgesel denizlerimizde ötrofikasyon izleme, degerlendirme ve modellemesi
- Akdeniz/Karadeniz sularinda partikül organik madde elemental kompozisyonu ve besin elementleri (N, P) dagilimlari arastirmasi
- Iklim degisiklerinin Akdeniz ve Karadeniz sularinda karbon döngüsüne etkisi.
- Karasal kaynaklarda ve denizel ortamda (su, sediman, biyota) kirleticilerin izlenmesi
- Dogu Akdeniz aerosollerinin özellikleri, kaynaklarinin tanimlanmasi ve çevresel etkileri
Main research topics of the Chemical Oceanography can be listed as follows:
- Biogeochemical and physical processes controlling the distribution of nutrients, organic matter, dissolved oxygen, trace metals, primary productivity in enclosed marine environments including the eastern Mediterranean, Marmara and Black seas.
- Interactions between the physical, biological and chemical processes of the oxic, suboxic and anoxic layers of the Black Sea; occurrence and stability of the suboxic zone.
- Biogeochemical cycles of nutrients in the Turkish seas.
- Speciation of nitrogen, phosphorus and carbon compounds in the marine environment.
- Elemental composition (C:N:P ratio) of biogenic particles in the enclosed seas.
- Chemical fluxes in the Turkish Strait System, including the Sea of Marmara, the Dardanelles and Bosphorus straits.
- Measurements of primary production (PP) by 14C technique, biotic and abiotic (light and nutrients) factors controlling the PP, comparison and calibration of satellite images with in situ PP and phytoplankton biomass data.
- Determination of new and regenerated production using 15N technique.
- Biomarkers of suspended particulate matter in the water column of the enclosed seas.
- Accumulations of heavy metals and organic chemicals in marine biota and sediments.
- Monitoring of organic and inorganic pollutants in the coastal waters.
- Occurrence and distribution of low molecular halogeneted organic compounds.
- Cycling of mercury between the atmosphere and oceans.
- Chemistry of atmospheric aerosols and effect of Saharan dust on the productivity in the sea.
- Composition and source prediction of the atmospheric aerosols over Mediterranean and Black Seas atmosphere by using analytical and numeric models together with satellite data and images.