Master in Design for Urban Environment
Schedule: Monday to Friday from 18.30h to 22.40h
The Master in Design for Urban Environment trains professionals to take part in the process of urban transformation by designing ideas that help to reinforce the social, cultural and economic fabric of 21st century cities.
This course focusses mainly on the following lines of work: design for sustainable development, social inclusion to empower citizens in the face of social challenges, governance, cooperation, e-democracy, open data and transparency, as well as design to tackle urban mobility issues and contribute to people’s safety.
Urban environments are currently facing significant challenges, which calls for professionals who know about the past, understand the present and can anticipate the future to think up solutions in collaboration with their inhabitants and the people in charge of managing them.
– To train new professional profiles with the skills to act in urban contexts from a collaborative design perspective based on the needs of various actors/stakeholders.
– To provide students with a global, interdisciplinary and integrating vision of the experiences taking place within the urban environment in order to propose relevant, consensual and sustainable design solution actions.
– To provide students with specific tools and knowledge to complete projects related to the urban environment.
– To train students to acquire the language and role of a designer/facilitator profile in order to co-create urban environment solutions.
Observation, analysis and experimentation are an essential part of learning. The course proposes intense theoretical/practical immersion in the urban context of the city of Barcelona, which is why both its theoretical classes and projects are backed by outings led by the teachers of the Master’s degree.
The course proposes five interrelated lines of action that are structured upon various types of subjects.
These lines of action are: THINKING, DOING, PROJECTING, LISTENING and COMMUNICATING.
– Professionals and recent graduates who are interested in continuing their studies in order to acquire skills in strategic urban design and become involved in urban design projects from a multidisciplinary and cross-disciplinary perspective.
– Product, visual communication and interior designers, architects and management/marketing professionals, among others, will be able to update their knowledge and acquire new skills in areas of urban design that are not part of their expertise.
– Professionals interested in exploring the intersection of design, social innovation and public policies.
Graduates will be qualified to join different kinds of projects in the urban context with tools that can help them to interpret from an overall perception of design. They will be able to face the challenges posed by current urban problems and citizen needs, expanding their knowledge to work with multidisciplinary teams and coordinating a design approach in urban projects.
They will be able to work in public/private entities in some of the following areas/functions:
– Lead urban regeneration processes
– Urban design consultancy
– Urban design process management
– Conduct studies related to the urban environment
– Prepare guidance and statements
– Site and area design and/or mobility design
– Facilitate collaborative processes for design in the urban environment
– Visualise and communicate data in urban design processes